Sunday, July 20, 2008

Velcome to Vermont (think how dracula would say it..)





Well, another state down. Hello Vermont!!! Welcome to the Green Mountains. Staying in Manchester Center tonight. 538 miles to go and I am starting to get really excited!

I am going to come back to this blog and finish because the librarian has informed me that my "hour limit" is up.....man, do I miss having a laptop sometimes!

*******
Welcome Back!!!

So Vermont... ahhhh the Green Mountains! The smell of pine trees, the beautiful landscape, the rain.....huh? Rain, oh yes! I have not actually seen the sun in four days. The rain has not stopped pouring on top of us for almost a week! Everything I own is wet, cold, smelly, stinky, and funky.
The views were supposed to be great... they were fogged out for the most part. But beautiful nonetheless.

The terrain has gotten a little difficult again, where you actually have to earn your 20 mile days. No more stopping and piddling around for a couple hours. I actually did my biggest day yet yesterday. 28 miles! who knew that the body would carry you that far? Especially with weight on your back! It was raining cats and dogs from the start, and did not let up throughout the whole day. So at mile 18 I could have stopped to stay at the shelter, but I was already soaked to the bone and miserable... so whats another 10 miles?

I stayed in Rutland for a night at the Back Home Again Cafe. It was a neat hostel that you did a "work-for-stay" at. So here I am, wiping down tables and sweeping floors to earn my stay. They offered to feed us and everyone sits down and tells stories. Well that sounded really exciting... but I wanted to see the new Batman movie that was playing across the street...

It was awesome (the movie that is)!

I did have breakfast with the crew and told them about my revolution with Keep America Beautiful!

The next day coming out of Rutland was another wet, miserable day of walking down the flooded trail until I came to a blue-blaze trail that lead STRAIGHT UP a hill to a cabin. On the side was a ladder that lead to the roof.....ever then ladder was steep! When I got to the top, I have 360 degree views of the Green and White Mountains. It was incredible....other than the rain.

All in all, Vermont was a great state to walk though, I am sure I will be back to hike it when the forecast has a little better weather.

Next stop.... Hanover, New Hampshire
and the White Mountains

Bearfoot

No comments: