Monday, July 7, 2008

Fireflies LOVE secret shelters!



Well, let me tell you how my 4th of July went. I was hoping to walk 20 miles to a shelter with a view of NYC to see fireworks...got to the shelter and it was overcast and raining so I couldnt see much of anything. One of my friends on the trail "Greenwood" convinced me to go another 5 miles to a "secret shelter" where someone lets you camp on their property. We were hoping since it was the 4th of July someone HAD to be cooking hotdogs and have cold soda....

So at mile 23 my feet were screaming STOP!!! WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU???
But all I could think about was that hot dog and pepsi.

We end up making to the "secret shelter" at around 5pm. After dreaming about a beef frank for an hour and a half we got to the top of the hill to find....a few more hikers. No trail magic, no fireworks, no nothing. So we all talked about the terrain and what our plan was for the next day.

Dinner for me consisted of (not a hot dog first off) a tortilla wrapped around some summer sasuage, and some gorp. After dinner I got in my tent kind of depressed and sore. All I wanted was to see fireworks and eat a hot dog. Well a few minutes after I got in I started seeing little flashes of light outside my tent so I came back outside to find what seemed like at least million little fireflies lighting up the nights' sky.

I could not have asked for a better show, it beat all the fireworks and hotdogs I could imagine. I cannot think of a more approprate way of celebrating independence day. It was nature at its finest.

Tonight:
Vernon, New Jersey

Tomorrow:
Hello New York!!


Bearfoot

No comments: