Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Hello Connecticut!!

Well with New Jersey and New York behind me the miles left are dropping like flies! I walked into Connecticut the other day and surprisingly.....they had mountains again! I have been so spoiled walking through Virginia and Pennsylvania, they have been a little "hilly" but not Connecticut! As soon as I got across the border my legs started screaming "uncle" welcome to some real elevation changes again.

A few wonderful things happened to me in Connecticut,
1. They had water again! The trail has seemed have had a shortage everywhere I've been since Virginia.
2. I found a wonderful town called Kent and made some wonderful friends.
3. My dear friend Rob (KAB-Man) came out to live "a day in the life of Bearfoot"


So Kent,
I looked in my book to see if this town allowed hikers to camp somewhere, it said that the church was the only place......but the sign at the church said "No camping, Sorry Hikers"

huh? well my options are either go back to the trail or go make friends.

What a cute town! They had everything a hiker could want or need. Deli's, a library, book stores, Post Office, and ICE CREAM!! So after eating a sandwich, a pint of ice cream and drinking a 2 liter of Pepsi I stumbled into a place called "The House of Books" great shop. I was looking at all the nature books they had and struck up a conversation with a wonderful woman named Terry. We got to talking about the Trail and the Trek Against Trash and she asked if I would like to stay in the back yard of a friends house right outside town. PERFECT!!! Now I didn't have to walk back to the trail. So she and her awesome daughter Zoey drove me to the back yard so I could get situated for the night. After getting set up we all were sitting down talking about....well everything you could imagine. They asked if I liked sushi.........um, first off if you don't like sushi you have a serious problem. Of course I like sushi! So off we went to a restaurant in town that had fabulous sushi. Ate, talked, enjoyed each others company. Great night.....it gets better!

They next day, I come out to the book store to visit my new friends and of course we are all B.F.F (for those of you who forgot that term, I am bringing it back, Best Friends Forever) we made fun of each other all day and just had a great time. After work they drove me back to the house, where Terry ordered Pizza for us....(sushi one night, pizza another...I may never leave this town) we all relaxed and ate way to much. They then asked if I wanted to come stay at the house with them....wow, I am not sure what I did to receive such wonderful people in these trail towns but something has finally clicked. I got to get a warm shower, sleep on a comfortable mattress, life was perfect!

On Saturday it was finally time for me to say good bye to my two new angels of Kent Connecticut, a few tears were shed because we didn't realize that I was actually leaving, it was really sad to leave those two.

If you are ever in Kent Connecticut go see my two of my best friends at the House of books Terry and Zoey, tell them Bearfoot sent you.

After leaving I met up with the man with the plan, Rob from Keep America Beautiful. He met me at the top of one of the mountains, and he was loaded to the top with goodies. Cookies from Gucci's Mom (Thanks!!!) my Hammock, and some sweet new Trek Gear.

We hiked a strenuous 7 miles to Pine Brook Lean-to. We were both sweating like fools, and mosquitoes seemed to fill the entire sky. Robs legs seem to be made of steel, he was hauling some 50 pounds up these hills.....yeah no joke. It is wonderful to have a friendly face out on the trail with you, especially someone who is as awesome as Rob. If it was not for him, the Trek would have been some dream that I had. He is the one who brought it to life!

Well I will be out of Connecticut in the morning and on to Massachusetts

No comments: