Thursday, July 10, 2008

Belated 4th of July...



July 5th, a day that I will never forget.

Before you read this I want you to go back and read the blog before this one. It helps make this a better story. Promise me you will go read it??
Okay.

................you should be reading..................

Welcome back.
So after walking up to the marvelous firefly show last night, my feet were a little raw from walking all day. But I strapped on my shoes and knew I would be in Vernon NJ in 14 miles.I was hoping to catch the Post Office before it closed at 1pm so I had to get my hurry on. The terrain was not too bad, and the weather looked to be cooperating for once. So I cruised through most of it. I got to the road and a young lady offered me a ride into town which was nice because I didn't have to walk the extra 2.5 miles (for some reason you can't hitchhike in NJ - NY, lame I know). So my plan was to grab a bite to eat and pick up my mail drop (thanks Mom!!).

After attempting to eat a whole medium pizza by myself (not a good idea by the way). I looked in my book to see where I could camp fro the night. It said that the firehouse in town allowed camping on the lawn. Sweet, I am in!

So I walked up to the Vernon Volunteer Fire Departments Station to see that they were having a weekend cookout for the 4th. As soon as I got to the station the Chief asked if I was hungry (It was hard to say no because I was full of pizza, but I knew if I ate another bite of anything I would pop) or wanted to grab a shower. Well you know you stink when you can smell the funk coming off of your t-shirt just by turning your head. So I took him up on the shower offer.

Feeling like a new man, I went back out to hear that the 13th annual fire work show was that night that the fire department put on to raise money. That's right folks, I said fireworks!! The chief said that at 4pm if I wanted to tag along I could go with them. Ummm Yeah!! I loaded up in a "Fire Truck" and off we went. I offered to help in any way possible, so they asked if I wanted to help with traffic duty. Imagine me in my yellow Trek Against Trash t-shirt out with all the firemen directing traffic. I looked pretty official. So after parking cars, Anthony (I called him "The Mayor" because he seemed to know everyone) said let's go watch the show.

The fireworks started and I was like a little kid again. Ooohhh, aaahhh, it was pretty sweet. Well the next thing I know "The Mayor" asked if I wanted a hot dog.......

I then realized that everything in the world seemed to be perfect at that moment.

You heard correct folks, I got to watch fireworks and eat a hot dog on July the 5th. I almost cried I was so happy. I felt like one of the guys again, like a normal human being. It was one of my favorite memories on the trail so far.

After the show we cleaned up, loaded up and headed back to the station. The Chief said how proud he was of everyone and what a great job they all did. The Mayor thanked me for helping in front of the whole crew, which meant a lot to me. All I really did was point and wave in my yellow Trek Tee.

I just want to say thank you, thank you, THANK YOU Vernon Volunteer Fire Department. Anthony, Phil, Bernie, Ron, Trevor Jackie, the Chief....everyone. Not only for making me feel at home, but for what you do everyday. Your bravery. I am sure people don't realize that you volunteer to run into burning buildings to save other people. You are all my heroes.

Just remember, when you are feeling a little down, stop. Remember that someone is always looking out for you. No matter how silly it is, sometimes it's the little things that will make you laugh or cry. Someone always has your back......The Vernon Fire Department has mine

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I really loved this blog J! :) I am glad you got your hotdog and fireworks!! :) Teresa