Saturday, August 30, 2008

What I've Learned


(I wrote this before I finished, and just had time to type it up, so remember that I was still on the trail when all of these thoughts and emotions came out. I still beleive in all of them, and I hope that some of these may help a few people understand how my mind works now. )

I had plenty of time to reflect on things that are important to me. And I have actually learned a few things while being in the woods for 5 months. If you will sit back for a few minutes, please let me share my life changing discovery's.... This could get deep.
I have been so tired mentally and physically the past few weeks I had almost forgotten what life is really all about...

True happiness- Someone once said to me "little is needed for a happy life." What a true statement. I have been walking now for over 2000 miles. The past 5 months of my life has been dedicated to this project, my dream. Helping do my part to change the world, and learning what I am capable of. Its what makes me happy, Ive been able to get back into nature and talk to everyone about the impact they leave behind them from trash to life, it all makes a difference.

Do what makes you happy.

Never Quit-I have learned to never give up, no matter how hard life or the trail may be. Rain or shine, thick or thin, together or alone. I wont stop.. You learn what you are capable of when you are put into a miserable situation. Ive had good days and bad days. I even had a couple days where I wanted to quit, but I couldn't. I am to proud (maybe stubborn) to give in.

Compassion-Their are people out there who will do anything for you. It does not matter how far or difficult it may be to get to you, they will drop everything to make sure you are alright. You think that most strangers don't care, well I can tell you that some do. Ive been invited into homes, had meals cooked by people I met on the street. I hope one day to live in a world where everyone cares about each others well-being.

Remember who you are-Ive learned what it means to true to my heart. Never sell yourself short, in anything. Life, job, relationship, whatever your case may be, you deserve the best and don't settle for anything less than perfection. This is your life we are talking about. Remember what your parents taught you, and what your heart tells you.

Slow down or you'll miss something-I think a lot of people have really gotten caught up in the fast paced world we live in. We email instead of calling, we get fast food instead of sitting down to enjoy each others company. We have forgotten what its like to slow down, catch our breath and enjoy this place that was created for us, this beautiful planet. Sure we go with our family's to the beach every summer, but we are still thinking about that bill that needs to be paid, or presentation that's due next week. Kids are stuck to video games instead of being outside getting dirty, parents are working late and missing those special moments with there families. Just slow down, enjoy your life, beacause one day.....one day, you wont have it.

Be good to each other-If everyone would smile a little more everyday, due something kind for a stranger, take a day out of the week to read to a child. We would live in a much kinder place. We are all apart of the human race right? So what really makes us that different? Remember that smiling is contagious.

Live for today-You are only going to be here August 16th 2008 one day in your life. Make it worthwile otherwise your going to wake up at 80 years old and wonder "where did all the time go?" Tomorrow is no guarantee for anyone. So do what you can today to help.

Remember that everyone needs help once an awhile-I was trying to hitchhike to town today when a car drove by me and yelled something about being a hippie...Instead of seeing that I was soaked to the bone and just needed a little help getting 3 miles into town, I got yelled at.Unfortunately this is the world we live in sometimes. Last night, a hiker got to the shelter after walking all day in the rain and realized had left his spoon at the last lean-to, so another hiker let him borrow his. Someone else gathered everyones water bottles and filled them up without asking.

These are reasons that leaving the trail will be difficult. I will take what I have learned out here and apply it to the "real" world I return to. I hope its contagious. Love for one another, love for our planet.

These are just a FEW things that I have learned. I am sure the rest will come out soon......in my next adventure......

stay tuned for more adventures......

you can also check me out at
http://adventuresofjordan.blogspot.com/




No comments: