Tuesday, August 19, 2008

The "100 mile wetness......I mean wilderness"


So as usual leaving the town of Monson was wet......whats new? I got to the sign that warned hikers to beware of the "100 mile wilderness." All it meant was no resupply for 100 miles. What it SHOULD have warned us about was the "streams" that we would be crossing.....but I will get to that in a minute.

So the first day in I met up with a few old buddies along the way. We decided to hike for a bit together, and I am glad I did. I actually fell twice in a day.....twice in one day!! I was stunned. Thank goodness it didn't hurt and was kind of funny. I had made it over 2,000 miles only falling once....now two times in a day. I must be getting excited to finish.

We got to the first ford of a "stream" (imagine me doing the quotations with my hands and making a very disturbing face when saying "steam") and it was no joke. We had to put on our big boy pants to get across. Luckily we had a rope strung across it so we had something to hang onto, if not.......bye bye Bearfoot. As you got into the "stream" you could feel the Class five rapids trying to ripe you clothes off and throw you down, I am glad that no one got hurt because some of them were kind of scary

Well the wilderness was not all that difficult, lots of river fords. Lots of mud, rain and gunk. Nothing new for Maine. BUT what the wilderness did have was....... our first view of Mt Katahdin, from Whitecap Mountain. It was refreshing to see the end, but sad at the same time.

The last 50 miles of the wilderness was pretty much flat, but roots and rocks everywhere. So we cruised fairly fast. We got to the base of Kathadin and relaxed for the next day to take in the views, and I am glad we did.

Next stop-

Mt. Katahdin!!!!!

No comments: