Friday, July 11, 2008

Conquered: One New York State!




Welcome to New York!!!!!

Once I arrived into New York a huge weight was lifted off my shoulders. It feels like I am actually making progress along this crazy trail. I got to Bear Mountain and it was beautiful!! At the bottom of the hill was kind of culture shock..

Bear Mountain State Park. There were people everywhere!! Talk about feeling a little out of place; I was like a cave man walking into Times Square! But it was beautiful nontheless. I look some time to eat and relax by the lake and read a book for awhile. I picked up my mail drop from the Post office and sent some more nonsense home that was not needed. After piddling around for a little bit I walked down the trail which actually leads into the zoo! That was quite the experience! Here I am coming out of the woods to see all these beautiful animals caged. It was kind of emotional for me. I stood by the bears for at least 45 minutes just thinking of all the bears I have seen running free (and trying to steal my food). It was a good time to really think about what I am doing out here and how lucky we all are to have the freedoms we do.

After the zoo I crossed the Bear Mountain Bridge. Holy Cow! Talk about crazy, go live in the woods for four months and then come down and cross this thing. I hand both hands on the sides and was flinching every time a car flew by me. Once I successfully crossed the bridge I headed up the hill to a campsite about three miles on top. I had a little reunion with some old friends. Shutterbug, Hotwheels, Corley, Beatbox, Rocksteady, Butters, Freebird....just a lot of people. We all hiked together for a couple days, until the heat and humidity really kicked in.

I drank about a gallon of water yesterday....a gallon. I was sweating from every pore in my body. After another long day of hiking I came to a spot called Nuclear Lake. It looked about perfect to swim in (I know with that kind of name you would think I would come out glowing of radiation, but my book said it was safe) so I cleaned my sweaty, stinky clothes and swam around for a little bit. It was quite refreshing until.......a storm that blew in out of nowhere! So I am now cool and soaking wet from the lake, but once the rain started pouring down, I felt like I was going to freeze to death. Luckily it was only a quick summer shower so it passed over pretty quickly. I stayed at a place called Native Landscapes last night. The A.T. Train station that will run you into New York is right behind this place. The owner will let you camp outside the building for free, he also had a shower and bathroom that he let us use. Yeah!

Today was my last day in New York so it is time to say goodbye yet again to another state. Thank you for your views and weather NY, you treated me well, and one day I will return to hike you again.

Connecticut bound tomorrow morning!

No comments: